TrekNorth High School
Members Present: Mengelkoch, Forbes, Haynes, Benner, S. Plum, M.
Other Staff: K. Munson, J. Plum, D. McKeon. Parent: Vicki
I. Reading by Erica Haynes--next reading assigned to Erica? Poem
by Denise Levetrod
II. Approval of Board Minutes from October 21,
2003 and November 5, 2003
(Nov 4 mtg cancelled due to local elections.)
- Motion to approve corrected
10/21/03 minutes (Krueger changed to Forbes in item II): S.Plum,
Sec. Benner. Passed Unanimous
- Motion to Approve Nov. 5 Minutes Forbes, Sec. Haynes. Passed
III. Consent Agenda (5 min.)
- TN Checks #2037-2111
- Federal grant extension budget
- School psychologist contract
Motion to Approve, Forbes, Sec. Haynes. Passed
IV. Open Forum - visitors (5 min.)
V. Old business
- Concert-TN facility, as fundraiser for J-Term
trips, Nov. 24 and 26 (5 minutes) - Matt Huffman, TN student.
with Bemidji Polic Dpt., BPD will provide police officer for duration
of the evening. Landlord has been contacted, with details, requesting
Motion to accept request and go ahead with concert pending
written permission from Arch Simonson and coordinated effort with
TrekNorth staff. Plum, Sec. Haynes. Passed, unanimous
- Bus purchase
update (5 min.) --Steve/Mike
See Adendum-"Bus Purchase" Motion table to next board
meeting with request for more information.M.Munson, Sec. Haynes.
- Naylor and Peterson Sheet Metal Proposals (5 min.)
The signed contract with Peterson Sheet metal was not approved
by the Board. The Naylor bid is $1000.00 less than Peterson
V. New business
- Facility use
- Indoor mural by TN students (10 min.) - Mike (& students?)
to proceed with mural, upon approval of landlord and a detailed
preliminary sketch of mural and it's location in Bistro. Munson,
Sec. S.Plum. Passed unanimous.
- Hanging art by regional artisits (5 min.) - Karen
display salable art by regional artists beginning over the
Christmas break upon favorable opinion. Munson, Sec. Haynes.
- Documentary Project (5 min.) -- Louise
Motion for TrekNorth
to host media forum on "teenagers in a
changing world". Tuesday, Nov. 18, 6:30-8:30 at TrekNorth
High School. Forbes, Sec. Haynes.
- Creative Words Coffeehouse (5 min) -Karen
Motion for TrekNorth
to host Creative Words Coffee house in cafeteria the 3rd Friday
of every month beginningin December. Munson. Sec. Haynes. Passed
- Further Facility Requests -- Continue to go thru board.
--Julia (5 min.) Recommendations for minor improvements and
- Food Service update - (5 min.)
- Apple would like to use TN as a reference site.
Motion to accept
Apple to use TrekNorth a reference site. S.Plum.Sec. Munson. Passed
- Upcoming board training Dec. 5-6. AND MACS Annual Meeting,
- Expulsion Issue-new one. Reckless use by student of an art-tool
(detractible "exacto" knife). Another students' index
finger was severely cut and he went for stitches to emergency room.
to table discussion of expulsion proceedings until further information
is provided by teachers who were present in the room of the incident
and teacher in room from which exacto tool came, and any other
relevent information. Special meeting to be arranged and parents
S.Plum, Sec. Forbes. Passed unanimous.
Motion that staff involved
in the incident in the theatre and the art room provide a documentation
of their interpretation of events. Haynes. Sec. Munson. Passed
- Board compensation in case of unpaid days off from work to
Motion that when board members attend training at
loss of pay for the day, they will be compensated at the rate of
pay lost. Haynes, Sec. S.Plum, Passed unanimous.
VI. Policy and Committee Updates
- Board composition (15 min.) --committee/Louise
- 9 member board,
Motion to establish a 9 member board by adding
2 parents and 1 teacher. Forbes, Sec. Haynes. Passed unanimous.
to Appoint Dan Hawkins as TrekNorth Board member effective
at next meeting. Forbes, Sec. Haynes Passed unanimous.
Motion to Appoint Lisa Harmon as TrekNorth Board member effective
next meeting. S.Plum, Sec. Frobes. Passed unanimous
- choose board member(s)
Chair instructs Sundog to select new teacher board member.
- ex-officio status for Dean and/or for others?
Julie Johnson-Willborg be appointed an ex-officio member of
TrekNorth Board. Forbes, Sec. Haynes. Passed unanimous.
- plan to get student on board, including one-year ex-officio
Motion for staff to select ex-officio student member
of board asap. Munson. Sec. Haynes. Passed Unanimous
- Discipline Committee -- Expulsion policy AND Weapons Policy
to approve the Weapons policy derived from MSBA/MASA policy manual
with appropriate language to reflect TrekNorth High School. Haynes.
Sec. Munson. Passed Unanimous.
Motion to approve exclusion, expulsion
and suspension policy with appropriate language to reflect TrekNorth
High School. Forbes, Sec. Haynes. Passed unanimous.
- Finance committee -- Jean (5 min.)
- The purpose of the TrekNorth
Finance Committee is to oversee the financial aspects of
the operation of TrekNorth High School, including but not limited
to review of expenses paid by the business office and approval
of expenditures proposed by Sundog Cooperative. The fundamental
philosophy of the committee is that we will meet all deadlines
with the understanding that our failure to do so is a reflection
upon the professionalism of our establishment and that we will
purposefully err on the side of caution in order to protect
the integrity of our institution.
- Proposed policies include:
- Purchasing policy: Individual
departments may spend their budgets at their discretion,
with a budget variance of 5% or $1000, or the lesser of
the two, per budget category. Any proposed puchases in
excess of the budget variance must be approved by the board
prior to the purchase.
- Line of Credit Policy: Lines of Credit issued in TrekNorth's
name may be utilized without board consent if the funds
are available to pay back the debt in full within two weeks.
Otherwise, incurring debt in the name of TrekNorth is subject
to prior board approval.
- Any other policies the board would like committees to pursue?
- Any other committees the board would like?
- These committees will
be report to the board in December, 2003:
- Parent Involvement Committee
- Technology Committee
- PR Committee
- VOA letter - Steve/Mike (20 minutes)
- Update from Sundog-new
committee structure; Cindy Reuther, etc.
- Response from TN to
- Response from Sundog to VOA
- Further update from Sundog at
next board meeting
Chair requests updated, detailed information
on J-term trips from the staff involved.
VII. Next Meetings:
- Closed Meeting at 5pm on November 12, 2003
to discuss student expulsion
- Regular Meeting at 6pm on December
VIII. Adjourn, Motion Benner, Sec. Forbes. Passed unanimous